Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Alternative MBA jobs

So as the ISB Clsss of 2009, the fincancial markets went bust around them!! This was followed by a crash in auto and then retail!! Things just got worse and worse!!

So as a member of Class of 2010, I got into thinking about the Alternative MBA careers out there. Now couple of hitches, I have 2 years 8 mnth experience (in tech and consulting), with a Bachelor in Computers (Unique for an Indian, hah ;-)) and a prior Masters from Duke University. As i searched the net I found many options available to me post-ISB. Of course the straight forward private sector large firms like Mck, BCG, other consulting firms (I wish :)) to the banks (ICICI, DB etc.) and of course FMCG and Real estate firms. But what beyond them?

Well there are a whole load of start-ups doing some incredibly good work in India, the problem is how to find them. Finding startups is hard enough in the US, but in India its worse given the lower internet culture!! Dont believe this? just Google "FMCG India".. But this year startups came to the IIMs and ISBs of India and actually recruited there. Admittedly the salaries were low, supposedly an IIM MBA was offered position of CEO of a 100-crore ($20 m) firm!! Well appareantly he got a low salary but still CEO!! Wow impressive!!

Another wave that seems to be sweeping B-schools this year is micro-finance firms. A lot of them recruited from IIMs and personally, I am really interested in these firms. I feel the concep is such an amazing resource and may be the key to reducing poverty in India just as it has in Bangladesh.

Then there are the genuinely different careers - such as careers in Hospital and Healthcare management, Energy management and finally my pet, Non-profit management. I am really interested in these 3 and feel there is a great scope for personal growth not only career-wise but as personality-improvements.

Healthcare Management :- Despite India's phenomenal growth, India lags behind countries like Congo in Human development indices, indices that measure the availablity of healthcare to a countries citizens and its quality. India has a very high infant and maternal mortality, plus a large number of children never reach adoloscence. Its really amazing that we have huge corporations in metros and a few miles away, mothers dont have hospitals to deliver in!! However things are changing, the private sector is getting more involved and there is a huge growth-opportunity in this field in India.

Energy Management :_ My dad's fav topic. He is energy-mad, switch bulbs of, do not accelerate too much, reduce throttle inputs, he simply loves to conserve energy. I am fascinated by this field but cannot see how I would be able to land a job given my tech background.

Non-profit management:- I would love to work in any non-proft. Period. Any non-profit employee / volunteer / donor that sees this blog, please please please, mail me with information about your organization.. I am interested in fund-raising / Logistics and strategy jobs, but lets see if my dreams are fulfilled on this front!

Of course all this is a real task for me to land as I have no experience with alternate stuff. But fingers crossed and bless my interview skills, I will get my foot into the door. Lets see.. In the meantime, if anyone has any thoughts drop a comment..

No comments: